Thursday 24 December 2015

Enjoy the moment for what it is.

Taken last Christmas, my dad was dead on the 15th Jan. 
For the past 3 Christmases life has been very different for us as a whole family and yet as I look on each of those Christmases, at the time, they were better than the next!  
In December 2013 our niece was in a medically induced coma after a car accident and we felt this was the most horrible Christmas for a long time, only to sit a year later with the massive void of my father-in-law and sister-in-law who had died within 4 months of each other. However, as we sat eating our Christmas dinner remembering Alphy & Nuala, little did I realise it was to be the last for my own dad, Desmond, who took ill suddenly and died in the 2nd week of January. 
So this year, rather than dwell too much on what is missing or more importantly who is missing, I have decided to enjoy the moment for what it is. I will celebrate being with those I care for & love and the fact that once again, in the hardest times family & friends rallied around us and made a nightmare situation bearable.
As we gather to eat Christmas dinner in 2015 we will fondly recall how much my dad loved his food and the fact that every year after his dinner he would sit back, pat his stomach and say 'I feel sorry for anyone who dies before they get their Christmas dinner.' At his wake I heard it said many times 'At least he got his Christmas dinner' so he must have mentioned his big 'fear' to others as well.  
My wish for 2016 is that it is a kind year to those who have had a lot of heartache and that those who will experience sadness find the strength to cope. 
Here's to Desmond, I sincerely hope they have lots of buns in heaven and Christmas dinner every day!

2 comments:

  1. And butter! Some things to treasure are the strength and resiliency of your family, Kierna. These are the first things I think of when I imagine your family even though I have not personally met them. The best in 2016 for you and yours. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, how did I forget about the butter! Thanks Lesley for all your support over the past 11 months.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.